Thursday, October 26, 2006

The name's Bond. James Bond.

Like a scene out of a 007 movie, the 993 laid down a could of smoke this morning that any spy would be proud of.

What it all amounted too was me being a dumbass. I overfilled that oil tank. 911's are dry sump engines, so all the oil is stored in a tank, typically about 13 quarts of the life preserving fluid.

My dash oiltank gauge has a bad sensor and it's always reading low. Not wanting to blow up a $15,000 engine in a new-to-me car, I try to keep on top of it. Yesterday I was over the top on it, literally.

Upon startup this morning, for the first time, I was greeted with a big cloud of smoke. YIKES! CRAP! I link I screwed up my oil level check proceedure and overfilled the tank! Thankfuly tt quit smoking almost as quickly as it had started.

Warmed up, off to work I go. Needing to accelerate into traffic, I put my foot in the go-button. WHOOSH! "HOLY MOTHER OF *****!!!" A blue-white cloud so thick *all* traffic behind me dissapeared. And since it was not steam I really hung around, covering the roadway. Dang it!

I'm really, REALLY glad nobody had a crash. That scared the heck out of me, and I'm sure was an attention getter to those behind me.

I drove a short distance, got off the highway to a deserted road, and tried it again. This time no smoke. Tried many times, doing a couple of WOT launches from a dead stop. No smoke. Hopefuly it blew out what I'd overfilled.

I'll see when I leave the office today, if they wish a farewell to 007.

No comments: