Tuesday, October 24, 2006

964 work starts, 993 parts arrive and 8-stars of Thai


964 work starts

More mod madness is underway. Last night I put the 964 up on jacks and started the suspension overhaul. Where I live, there is a pretty strict time frame within which it's sort of OK to make noise. That ends at 10:00pm. That left me less than 2 hours of work but I think I did pretty good for my first time in there really tearing stuff apart (pics will follow later this week).


First off, the car is much easier to work on (so far) than I had feared. Why did I put this off so long? Stupid fear. So within those 105 minutes I had to work on the car I accomplished the following:

  • Up on jacks. It took a while to decised where to jack and place the stands.
  • Remove front lower aero-pan, to expose suspension
  • Removed front flex (brake) lines.
  • Removed front calipers (those bolts are TORQUED).
  • Boot liner removed to access to shock towers.
  • Disconnect battery (I plan some airbag work in parallel)
  • Removed front rotors. They would make decent boat anchors.


At that point, I was out of time.

First thing in the morning I got up, made coffee and started to work on it again. After re-reading the online articles on the project, went after the 4 big bolts that hold on the front struts.

This requires a 10mm allen (post) head socket. After a lot of creaking the first bolt budged on the driver side. Next I went to the lower. Creaked then made a weird sound and got very VERY easy to turn. The allen head spin in the tool! The cheap Chinese toolset (that had worked find on my bikes) lost the battle, reduced to junk. Next I used a 6-point 10mm socket on the post. That socket quickly exploded into multiple pieces (I'm not using an impact hammer here.. just a breaker bar.. well.. it broke alright).

Needing to get to work, and with most of these required tools in pieces, I packed up, cleaned up and hit the road, stopping at the tool shop for some replacements. I'll have at it again tonight.

993 parts arrive
Awaiting me at the office this mornign was a FedEx box containing the H&R springs, destined to ride in the 993. Woo Hoo. More suspension work. I still need to source the Bilstien shocks for this update... and waiting on the new rotors too. Oh, also over the weekend I added some Big Oval tips to the 993. Need to get those pics posted too.

8-stars of Thai
I think I've lost my voice (or at least my ability to see, eye are filled with tears). Much to my delight (dismay) there is a good Thai restaurant right scross the street from the office, so I got there often. Over the last few weeks I've been ratcheting up the heat on my meals. When I found out they go beyond 5 starts (1-5 is typical, as far as I know), the escalation began.

Head waiter let me in on the 'extra' star secret and said he's tried 7 stars once.. could not finish it. So I tried out 6. Whew.. heat but.. I felt I needed more. Went to 6 1/2 stars but still wanted to kick it up.

Last week I ordered 7 stars. My coworkers came in complaining of watering eyes in thier offices.... AH! I was just about there.. .but.. I was still able to eat the food with impunity... but how much further can I push it before they say 'Enough! Cook his food in machine shop solvent!'.

Today, I pushed to 8 (on a scale of 1 to 5). The heat is starting to come on. Everyone got a good laugh when I grabbed a soda from the break room. I guess I'm beat read, sweating and eyes filled with tears. Ah.. this is what I'm talking about... at little heat in the ol Thai food.. :) Tomorrow.. it will be 8 again.. and if that does not put me in the hospital.. I might go to 9!

No comments: