Monday, October 23, 2006

993 Bonding is complete


I hesitated to say much but I was having a little trouble with the 993 as a daily driver. Compared to the 964 it felt 'loose' on the highway.. not really connected to the driver. I'd been looking over parts and could not find anything *wrong* with the car.. it just felt funny.

Until this weekend.

Following a weekend of driving the kids around I noticed some rattles around the rear and Saturday night got in the back seat area with a philips screwdriver and went to work. About 20 and several trim screws later.. it was all battoned down. Then I went about checking tire pressures. Something I should have done earlier.

While working at the track on the 964 I noticed that my rear tires needed a lot more pressure than I thought they would to keep from rolling over on the sidewalls. Hm.. could that be the cause of the loose feeling? The tires are a 35 aspect ratio.. hardly and sidewall at all. But why not run them up to 42psi and see what it gets me.

What did it get me? A brand new feeling car. Crap... that vauge feeling was all due to the tire pressure in the rears being far too low.. that.. and the fact that Toyo also makes TOTAL PIECE OF SH*T TIRE in the form of the Proxes T1R. (that R must mean something other than race.. you fill in the blank). Geez. Sidewall flex is king at Toyo from what I can tell. The tire the T1R replaced (T1S) was notorious sidewall flex and making even the sportiest of cars feel vauge. Everyone raved about how much better the T1R was. Well.. I can only image how big of a TURD the T1S must have been! Geez.. how do I make these sorts of mistakes.

Well.. put in more air pressure and wow.. tightened up the feel. Now it was as fun and tighter if not more so, than the 964!!

All is well with my insane little Porsche world. Note to self.. what might *seem* like a good tire pressure on the rear of a normal car is utter foolishness on the rear of a 911/964/993/996/997 (and I'm thinking the same is true for Boxters and Caymans).

Now that I'm totally comfortable with the 993.. the 964 will be going under the knife for a full suspension tune-up (shocks, springs, sways, you name it!).

More to follow........ including my writeup on the new 993 performance 'Big Oval' tips fetched off of eBay this past week!

No comments: