Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Living With a Porsche - Redux (1)

Well, it's been over a month of ownership for the 964 and a couple of weeks for the 993. I' working to sort some things on the 993, so I've been commuting (about 100 miles a day) in the older 964. Rain, sun, dark, light, you name it.

How do I feel about the car? Do I still like it? Do I still enjoy it? Am I going to keep it? How does it drive in real-world traffic? Well.. read on!

How do I feel about the car?
Still enjoy it as much as the day I test drove it. FUN. The novelty is wearing off (but by the looks of other drivers on the road.. for them it's still interesting to see one on the road in daily use). Despite the novelty issue, I still in love with the car!!

Do I still like it?
See above. It's a real treat!!!

Do I still enjoy it?
Hm.. I guess I'm really hammering on this point. YES. I ENJOY THE CAR. OK.. I think that is covered. It's a sweet driver! In fact my newer Mercedes is *still* parked, un-driven in the back of my driveway. Not only do the kids NOT like that car any more.. I'm sort of done with it too. Nothing wrong with the car, I just find that I like manual transmissions instead of autos. Always have, always will.

Am I going to keep it?
How long do I keep anything? Those who know me, know I'm not attached to things mechanical. At least, not in an emotional way. They stir emotions, sure. But even those vehicles I've owned that are often seen as vehicles that one should *never* part with (such as my Ducati Superbike I sold this year), are not immune to my chopping block. It's all for sale, at any time, for any resonable price. That said.. I plan to keep this baby for a long time (a long time for me at least). Very happy with my purchase VERY VERY HAPPY!!!

How does it drive in real-world traffic?
I'd think this is what anyone would really like to know about. So here is the scoop.

In stop and go traffic, the transmission gear ratio is such that putting along in 2nd gear is the norm. Only when the traffic is at a complete stand still, do I drop into first gear. Even then the smoothness of the engine and the gearing make it very VERY livable.

Unlike other cars I've had, it's not jerky or abrupt at the gear change. It's easier for me to drive in heavy traffic than the auto in my Benz. Really. Honestly. No joke. The 964 shows NO sign of running hot. The 993 on the other hand does in traffic. This is one of the things I'm sorting out on it. I think the oil cooler fan is shot or otherwise disabled. Not a biggie in our climate here but I like having my cars in PERFECT running order so I'm slowly working though this to see what the deal is.

At speed on the highway. It's ON RAILS! Germans know how to build cars. Period.

Well, not all German cars are built well (we had VW Jetta for a while that was a big stinky pile of crap.. thank goodness that went with the ex-wife!!). Digressing. Most of the German autos I've owned have been close too or north of the 100,000 mile mark. WELL USED. Yet these cars drove better than *any* other brands I've driven when new!

German cars are amazing. Solid is the word I used for these cars. Very VERY solid. The fact I'm commuting in a sports car is totally lost on me. It does not feel like I have made any compromise beyond loss of cargo space. It's easy to drive, in every situation. And fun to drive fast.. very fast... but that happens on the track and other closed courses, right?!?!

Yes, it's been a VERY short period of time but Porsche ownership is treating me very well. Now, if only I could get the passenger seat heater in the 964 to quit buring my friend's butts when the ride with me, all would be right!

No comments: