Monday, April 02, 2007

993 receives a front steering brace

After purchasing the car (with 18" wheels installed) I discovered that Porsche had issued a TSB on retrofitting a steering bracket brace found on the later '96 and up cars. This was required for fitting of oversize (18" wheels) on the car since it came with 16 or 17 wheels stock (depending on trim ordered at time of manufacture).

What really prompted this was after I'd installed a set of 19" wheels and found a slight wander with the 18's became quite a handful with the 19's I'd recently picked up.

Parts required for the update where not overly expensive. A backet and a pair of longer stainless bolts are all that is required. The installation it self was straight forward and took less than 1 hour including time to dig some tools out of the moving boxes and snapping a few pictures (which I'll upload at some unspecified future date).

[b]Results:[/b]
It helped. It did not cure all the wander that had occured with the 19's, but it was a definate improvement. Which of means it's a NEEDED update. I suspect the 12 year old rubber on the tie rod ends (some sort of isolator that I've never seen used before) are a bit soft and is causing the rest of the wander. I'll see how it handles once I complete the installation of JIC coilovers later this month.

No comments: