Saturday, March 10, 2007

964 suspension downgrade

Not long after installing the TRG sways, with the home-made drop links (the TRG sways don't work with the stock drop links on my 1990 C2) I was getting some knocking sounds from the front end. I thought that I might have already snapped on of the home-fab links and it was banging around. However handling did not seem to be suffering. After a few miles I thought I'd see how it worked out. It slowly got worse, handling did not suffer, bit it was time to fix that annoying knock.

It turned out that the bolts securing the drop links to the sways had lossened up a little bit on the passenger side (despite using nylock nuts). A quick tighten and the sound was gone.

Well, at least for a few more months. Then it returned. I tighted it up again but this time notices that the 'stops' on the bars, which bolt on, might be contacting the suspension parts and contributing. So I removed the stops inboard of the body mounts. No knocks.

No knocks, until February when it came back. Arg. I was in the process of moving so I put it off until now. Bummer. What a drag. The passenger side lower was loose, AGAIN, but now after removing the inboard stops on the bar itself, the slight lateral movement in the hard bushing had ripped them up. It all had to come out.

Luckly that guy that was going to buy my stock sways flaked out so I still have them. Knowing the balance of the car was primarily fixed with the adjustabl rear, I just replaced the front (which was the source of that annoying knock and that nagging worry about breaking a home-made drop-link).

It took less than a couple of hours to fish the TRG bar out and fish the new bar back in, rubber bushings and all.

No more noise, no more nagging worry, and oddly enough it seemed to improve the balance of the car in corners. So for now, the 964 is running a massive adjustable TRG bar on the rear and the stock bar on the front.

Maybe when the 993 gets a suspension upgrade I'll purchase another TRG rear and get new bushings for the front and try them out on it (since the bars are supposed to fit both 964 and 993 variants). I do know for sure that I'll be buying a new TRG adjustable rear for the 993 in the near future.

No comments: