Saturday, August 26, 2006

Time for the snow tires to go!

The car handled just fine but the tires are Bridgestone Blizzak studless snow tires. Not exactly the most performance oriented tire for a performance oriented car. It needed to be changed.

After spending a fair portiong of the week specing out 205/60R16 and 225/55R16 tires from a variety of sources I decided to get the same tire I used on my Miata. The Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212. Armed with checkbook and ready to spend it was off to price out the local tire shop.

Upon arriving I made a rather grim discovery. My car did NOT have the stock wheels for a 1990 C2 instaleld but instead.. 17" turbo twist wheels off what I think was the '91 C4 AWD version. Regardless.. all my research became moot since this also meant I had much larger tires than I have originally thought.

After a couple of hours at the shop.. thinking about the upcoming winter driving season and how few auto-x events remained.. my focus shifted to more rain oriented tire, and they just happenedt to have a full set of one option in stock. Not wanting to deal with this any further I ordered them installed and went and grabbed some lunch.

A couple of hours later I was rolling out of America's Tire with a set of Yokohama ES-100 tires in 225/45R17 front and 255/40R17 rears.

Handling did not seem to change adversly despite the harder compound of these tires compared to the Blizzaks previously installed. Ride is quiet. There may have been a slight decrease in understeer from the car but most of that problem, I believe, is due to imporper right height and old shocks. Both of which to be addressed soon enough. Next weekend, is that autocross so it's hoped these tires hold up to the punishment!

No comments: