Friday, December 01, 2006

A Winter Pounding

Wow.. what a nutty week! We had a record breaking month of rain (normally 5 1/2" this time over 15 1/2"). Then we have record breaking low temps (not since the 70's has this area had such low temps).

Driving in the snow and ice in the Porsches was VERY interesting!! On Sunday when storm #1 opened the skies with unusually heavy and very dry snow. The roads were rough but started to clear out by Wendesday.. when storm 2 cam rolling in, leaving a bunch of snow in some areas, and almost no snow in others.

Over the last 6 days I took a number of photos, had a couple of near spins right outside the house and even turned back while trying to get to work on Monday. It was sort of fun.. being snow-bound from the office for 3 days.. also drove me nutz with cabin fever! I was happy to take my chances on the icy roads Thursday morning.

Armed with a blanket, box of snack bars, 1 liter of water and 1/2 liter of engery drink in case the roads went to hell. It was an uneventful and unusally light commute.

When I have time I'll post some pics from the week.

On a more auto-centric note, on Monday the 4th I should have a load of parts and supplied arriving, including a special suspension brace for the 993, required when fitting 18" wheels on a 1995 993 (which is what mine is and has). I did not wait to jack the car up and see if I already have the prace. I might, since they previous owner did some upgrades. If it's an extra.. off to FleaBay for it!

The remainder of the parts inclue a pair of DME relays. These are the common failure point on older Motronic / Bosche engine control systems, and if the relay fails the car will not run at all (no fuel). I spare is cheap insurance so one will go on each car.

Another repair that I'll be making is re-soldering the clock in the 964 to hopefully cure it's loss of time and to fix connections that triggered the SRS failure lamp.

Lots to do in the comming days....

No comments: